This was the Centenary Antique Centre, situated at 29 Centenary Road, Newcastle.
Once a collection of 32 antique and bric a brac vendors, one part of it was set up as an original old store.
After the closure of the Beaumont Street Antiques Centre in 1993 following the 1989 earthquake, Richard Owens AM offered the use of the Centenary Road building for the stallholders and included antiques from his own family’s collection.
Centenary Road Antiques closed in 2013 after the purchase of the building by Jerry Schwartz.
Zaara Street Power Station was situated on Zaara Street, in the city of Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia. It was built to supply power for the New South Wales Government Railways (NSWGR) in 1915, when the first turbo-alternator of 2.5 megawatts was commissioned. The installation of additional plant in 1920 led to a generating capacity of 28.5 megawatts (MW).
Surplus capacity in the Railway Commissioner’s power grid was sold to municipal councils and other bodies responsible for the supply of electricity to the general public. Zaara Street Power Station was connected to the grid of the Electricity Supply Department of the Newcastle Borough Council in 1917, and supplied much of Newcastle’s electricity needs throughout the 1920s. Later known as the Newcastle Electricity Supply Council Administration (NESCA), the Newcastle Borough Council also operated a small power station with two alternators and a capacity of approximately 2.6 megawatts. Built in the 1890s, ‘NESCA’ Power Station was situated approximately one mile from Zaara Street, and closed in 1953.
Zaara Street Power Station was demolished in 1978, and all railway facilities in the vicinity were redeveloped into what is now known as The Foreshore. No traces of the power station have survived on the site.
Latec House was designed in 1956 by Peddle Thorp & Walker with construction commencing late 1957. The eleven-storey building
was officially opened on 24 April 1959 by The Federal AttorneyGeneral, Sir Garfield Barwick.
At this time Latec House was the tallest building in Newcastle, rising 128 feet above Hunter Street, and was described as being ‘in the heart of the city’s thriving motor industry’.
The last tenants left in May 1988 and the building was never occupied. It was 1988 that saw speculation that the building may become a hotel.
Photo from Newcastle City Council Hunter Photobank
During the demolition process, Victorian-era terraces dating back to 1879 were revealed. These had been hidden behind more modern facades.