26 May 1974 – share your stories here!
Centenary Antique Centre This was the Centenary Antique Centre, situated at 29 Centenary Road, Newcastle. Once a collection of 32 antique and bric a brac vendors, one part of it was set up as an original old store. After the closure of the Beaumont Street Antiques Centre in 1993 following the 1989 earthquake, Richard Owens AM offered the use of the Centenary Road building for the stallholders and included antiques from his own family’s collection. Centenary Road Antiques closed in 2013 after the purchase of the building by Jerry Schwartz.
Civic Park was a carpark in the 1950s
Comment from Terrence Owen: “The remains of an early boiler located near the loading point of A & B Pits Collieries of Wallarah Coal Company.” Add your stories of Catherine Hill Bay to the comments!
Photo from Lost Newcastle member Donna Dawson
Warners Bay Public School 1911 photo from Lost Newcastle member Katrina O’Connor
From visitnewcastle.com.au: Joy Cummings was Australia’s first female Lord Mayor and the Lord Mayor of Newcastle from 1974-1984. She had many achievements during her time in office and left a tremendous legacy to the city after her death in 2003. Her interest in politics began in 1938 at age 15 when she joined the ALP. Whilst maintaining her involvement in ALP politics, Joy married Ray Cummings and raised four children. Her political life began in 1968 as the first woman to win a seat on Newcastle City Council, when she was appointed alderman of the city’s East Ward. Joy’s first political venture was campaigning to… Read More »Joy Cummings – Australia’s first female Lord Mayor
According to Wikiski it’s snowed at least twice on Mt Sugarloaf! It snowed in 1965 and again in the early 1970’s on Mt Sugarloaf which has an elevation of about 350m and is about 20km SW of Newcastle. According to a Newcastle Herald article at the time, snow settled in West Wallsend, which is barely 70m ABSL. Snow for the first time in history settled all around the low lying hills around Maitland, Cessnock and Singleton. Photo submitted by Lost Newcastle member Marc Walters The local Lions Club was so excited they installed a plaque!
From Wikipedia: Zaara Street Power Station was situated on Zaara Street, in the city of Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia. It was built to supply power for the New South Wales Government Railways (NSWGR) in 1915, when the first turbo-alternator of 2.5 megawatts was commissioned. The installation of additional plant in 1920 led to a generating capacity of 28.5 megawatts (MW). Surplus capacity in the Railway Commissioner’s power grid was sold to municipal councils and other bodies responsible for the supply of electricity to the general public. Zaara Street Power Station was connected to the grid of the Electricity Supply Department of the Newcastle Borough Council in 1917, and… Read More »Zaara Street Powerstation