Monday, May 25

Tag: newcastle

Henry Martin – Victoria Lifeboat crew member
buildings, harbour, people, ships

Henry Martin – Victoria Lifeboat crew member

From Lost Newcastle member, Robyn Jeffries: Pleased to be able to share - my great great grandfather Henry Martin, far right, holding the boat. This is taken in the water around the Pilot Station where he worked as crew of the "Victoria" Lifeboat. (Olive Hoggan's (also her gr.g/father) photo.) Henry Martin d.1899, No 2, Pilots Row, Newcastle, now called the Boatmens Cottages on Nobbys Rd. opposite Fort Scratchley. The 1st rescue while working on the "Victoria", we have record of, is the "City of Newcastle". The little boy in the photo is Charles Henry Martin, son of Henry Martin, so dates the photo to approximately 1880.
Joy Cummings – Australia’s first female Lord Mayor
people, Uncategorized, work

Joy Cummings – Australia’s first female Lord Mayor

From visitnewcastle.com.au:Joy Cummings was Australia’s first female Lord Mayor and the Lord Mayor of Newcastle from 1974-1984. She had many achievements during her time in office and left a tremendous legacy to the city after her death in 2003. Her interest in politics began in 1938 at age 15 when she joined the ALP. Whilst maintaining her involvement in ALP politics, Joy married Ray Cummings and raised four children. Her political life began in 1968 as the first woman to win a seat on Newcastle City Council, when she was appointed alderman of the city’s East Ward. Joy’s first political venture was campaigning to save Moreton Bay Fig trees in Islington. During her political career she was known for her many environmental achievements in Newcastle including the preservation of Blackbutt Re
Zaara Street Powerstation
buildings, businesses, coal, harbour, industry, work

Zaara Street Powerstation

From Wikipedia: Zaara Street Power Station was situated on Zaara Street, in the city of Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia. It was built to supply power for the New South Wales Government Railways (NSWGR) in 1915, when the first turbo-alternator of 2.5 megawatts was commissioned. The installation of additional plant in 1920 led to a generating capacity of 28.5 megawatts (MW). Surplus capacity in the Railway Commissioner's power grid was sold to municipal councils and other bodies responsible for the supply of electricity to the general public. Zaara Street Power Station was connected to the grid of the Electricity Supply Department of the Newcastle Borough Council in 1917, and supplied much of Newcastle's electricity needs throughout the 1920s. Later known as the Newcastle Ele
Latec House
buildings, businesses

Latec House

From www.grandmercureapartments.com.au: Latec House was designed in 1956 by Peddle Thorp & Walker with construction commencing late 1957. The eleven-storey building was officially opened on 24 April 1959 by The Federal AttorneyGeneral, Sir Garfield Barwick. At this time Latec House was the tallest building in Newcastle, rising 128 feet above Hunter Street, and was described as being ‘in the heart of the city’s thriving motor industry’. The last tenants left in May 1988 and the building was never occupied. It was 1988 that saw speculation that the building may become a hotel.   During the demolition process, Victorian-era terraces dating back to 1879 were revealed. These had been hidden behind more modern facades.